R22 gas refrigerant legislation (phase out)
All owners and operators of R22 and other HCFC refrigeration systems will have to consider the R22 phase-out and act upon it now. The regulation is aimed at limiting ozone layer depletion and global warming.
From 2010 to 2015 only reclaimed R22 and R123 can be used for service. Shortage is foreseen because the amount of reclaimed HCFCs only covers about 10% of current usage. All HCFC top up will be prohibited from 1 January 2015 in Europe.
In addition the F-gas regulation has come into force in Europe, putting new requirements on systems using F-gases including refrigerants like R134a, R404A, R507A, R407C, R410A, R417A, and R422D
Typical questions raised by the end users:
- For how long can I use my R22 system?
- Will I be required to make any changes?
- Which refrigerants are available for retrofit?
- What is the impact on capacity & power consumption in case of retrofit?
- Should I consider the change to a new system with natural refrigerants?
Owners of R22 systems are strongly recommended to act now in order to avoid unplanned stop and down-time.
To guide you Johnson Controls has made a flyer which explains the business impact, and outlines the solutions available.
At Johnson Controls we have the technical expertise to guide the customers to a reliable and cost effective solution. Call us now!